Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Alabama Bucket List

We're getting ready to move now, and I had a few things left on my Alabama bucket list to do.

But before I get into that, I should probably mention that we are moving to Chico, CA! I feel like I am going home. I was so happy just that Steve had an opportunity to interview at a place in California, because there were a lot of opportunities that we heard about, but not a lot out West. I would have even been okay with it if we went elsewhere, as long as I knew we tried looking in California but it wasn't the right thing for us. Ultimately, I wanted the best opportunity for Steve wherever that might've been, but I'm so, so happy that it is in my home state!

So now to the bucket list: there were a few things that I felt like I just had to do while in The South. This Saturday, I crossed two big ones off my list! One of them was to see a Civil War site/reenactment. I heard of one that only happens twice a year, in Tannehill, Alabama. We went down (about 40 minutes away) and it was awesome! There were cannons, horses, soldiers all dressed up in authentic uniforms, and even a confederate band! We watched a battle (where the South rose again, I might add) and we drank "Ole Doc Bell's Wizard Elixir", aka homemade Root Beer and Birch Beer, and we loved it! On our way home, while watching the Alabama countryside fly by, we were sad to see many very large trees that were uprooted and blown over from the tornadoes, not to mention the homes that were damaged and rooftops covered by tarps.

The other thing we crossed off my bucket list was going to Bojangles (a restaurant chain here in Alabama, originally out of S. Carolina). So we did that on the way home, since we saw one right off the highway. It was so good! It was basically biscuit sandwiches and southern sides. But the best part? A fried sweet potato pie! YUM! Too bad I didn't know about these sooner....or maybe that's a good thing.

Check out all our pictures from the day, we can prove these have been crossed off the list! It's been a great Alabama weekend, and it's not even over yet!

2 comments:

Annie said...

Didn't know you had a blog!!! We'll be keeping tabs on you guys now.

Racing Games Top Free Games said...

This post is very informative. I have been amazing. Your are doing great. Wish you Best of Luck
From Team Impossible Rally Racer