Thursday, June 12, 2008

My trip to Jacksonville, FL


Johnson & Johnson owns a contact lens company named Vistakon. Their headquarters are located in Jacksonville, which is in the northeast corner of Florida. Vistakon paid for me and some fellow students to fly up there for three days of contact lens training and education. At first I was skeptical because I thought it would be a three-day commercial for Acuvue contact lenses, but that wasn't the case.
I flew in on Sunday afternoon, then for the next two days I attended training and seminars about contact lenses and new designs that are being developed from Vistakon and other companies. We fit real patients with new lenses and they seemed to like the comfort and vision they had with them in. They also brought lecturers in to educate us on improving our patient communication and gave us a tour of the manufacturing plant.
Johnson & Johnson and Vistakon are not hurting for money. The first night I was there I was given a $50 voucher for dinner at a Japanese hibachi steakhouse (I'm pleased to announce that I used $49.40 of it). Then the next night they paid for a fancy dinner at a beach-front restaurant. During the day I had access to all the food I could eat in their company cafeteria. The accommodations were very nice too.

No comments: